Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Paint Chip Challenge

 lf1
One of the displays at our guild Quilt Show this spring will be a Paint Chip Challenge.  We had guild members pick a paint chip sample out of a bag, no peeking, and they have to make a quilted item using those colors.  We want this to be fun so just have the public vote for their favourites instead of judging.   So the quilt above is Lynn’s Paint Chip Challenge baby quilt.  As you can see she got a green paint sample and when I saw her sample card she did a great job matching the colors.   My paint chip I picked was brown and gold!  I have no clue what I’m going to make but I better figure it out soon as our show is at the end of April!  I’ve seen a lot of the members projects and they are fantastic so it will be a great display for the public.
I wanted to show you the before picture of this quilt as Lynn felt the quilting really transformed it.

lf2 lf3
Lynn wanted Dream Puff batting and light quilting so it stays soft and cuddly.  She came up with her own design for this quilt and after some discussion we came up with a quilting plan.  CC’s in the green fabrics, large swirls in the white.    I call this Fluffy Modern!   Most modern quilts use flat batting with simple or heavy quilting but I really like how this looks with some much soft texture, perfect for a baby quilt.  The backing is a white Minkie Dots so that ups the fluffy factor!

lf5

Here is a link to the tutorial on how to make this quilt pattern.  

lf4

Hope this inspires our guild members to get there Paint Chip Challenges done, it has inspired me!

19 comments:

  1. We did a paint chip challenge in our little group. It was ton's of fun. I hope you all enjoy yours. Love the quilting and the colors. One of these days I am going to learn to do those swirls. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy this is just WOW! Love the quilt and the quilting design. Lynn should turn this into a pattern. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Какие цвета!!! Шедевр!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, My Friend! Hope you are staying warm. I am so in love with swirls! I'm not sure what it is about them that is so fascinating to me, but they just grab me. I really love what you did with this quilt, the contrast with the CC's and the swirls is so cool! I too really like Dream Puff batting. It's my fav at the moment. Wonderful work, Kath! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I am absolutely in love with this, and she's right - what an amazing transformation the quilting made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I've recently tried the QD Dream Puff batting, and I'm hooked!! My client loved how soft the quilt came out, especially as I had quilted a dense E2E on it! Much better than the cotton, and I'm now going to order lots of this product from the USA. I love the quilting on this little beauty, it really does enhance this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Your quilting has transformed this sweet patchwork
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the quilting brought it to life! Love the idea of a paint chip challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did indeed transform that simple quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect example of the quilting taking a quilt over the top. Love the quilt layout too. and the paint chip challenge idea I am writing down so I remember it for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this one, Kathy! The quilting really makes this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Unbelievable how it goes from flat to having life! You did a great job. Like the way Lynn laid out the HST blocks to make the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the custom quilting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is just beautiful. It was a nice quilt before it was quilted but now it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how the quilt changes when you quilt it. Your quilting is just so beautiful! Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I cant find the pattern link

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful. I cant find the pattern link

    ReplyDelete